Friday, April 13, 2012

Cooktown Killer

Well I'm done my most northerly run on mainland Australia and I don't mind if I never run that far north again. Cooktown is a great spot and would thoroughly recommend it for a visit - kids loved fishing off the pier and were mightly impressed with Dad's hunter/gatherer skills when I caught a brim! We did have a very close encounter with a Death Adder while on an Aboriginal tour near Hopevale and after 10 minutes of 6 kids playing in the dirt he asked them all to move and uncovered the creature buried in the dirt where the kids had been sitting - he seemed pretty spooked and was asking all the kids if they were feeling unwell but thankfully no one had been touched. Bit of excitement for the trip.
I headed out yesterday morning to do 5kms and that was a struggle - humidity and temperature even at 7.15 were unbearable and I honestly don't think I could have run much further - breathing was really struggling and felt pretty wheezy when I finished even though I was doing about 5 min pace. Stats for the run are at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167219247 and it looks pretty cool on the map when you zoom out.
Back in Cairns now and only two days of the holiday left but weather has tunred wet, so will try and get a run a long run in tomorrow and maybe a quick six on Sunday before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment