Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hill Ride

After having 4 days of no exercise, I hauled myself out of bed at 6.15 on a Sunday to meet up with Nick and Chris for a ride. It felt like we did every hill in the eastern suburbs this morning culminating in a ride up Arden Street from Coogee. Ride stats at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143548091 and very concerned to see my heart rate hitting 244 3 minutes in as we went up St Thomas street near Waverely Cemetery but doesn't seem to have done any harm for the rest of the session and probably cleared out a few cobwebs! Avoided the rain that appeared to be around the east this morning and enjoyed some splendid views of angry seas as we headed out through Bronte, Tama and Bondi to Watson's Bay. Chris is a new mate of Nick's who has just arrived from Adelaide two weeks ago and appears to be a pretty decent cyclist - well the legs are shaved so that's a bit of a giveaway. He was flying up the hills like they didn't exist but the cruelest of blows was when we were 100 meters from our usual cafe finish on Clovelly Road he announced that we were going to climb Arden Street. I've survived 11 years in Sydney with a fair amount of riding around the east and avoided Arden St but not today and to be honest, if I wait another 11 years before I do it again, it might be too soon. I honestly thought I was going so slowly that I would come off the bike. The bus coming up my backside helped with the motivation.
So bit of a slack week dut to the hols and back into it again next week. We are fully into camping now, although not quite ready for a site without running water or warm showers!

No comments:

Post a Comment